Use in a workshop as the idea generating process
- very large whiteboard and markers or series of flipcharts
Number of participants: 26-50
Types of participants: technical people
Time needed: 1-3 hours
Pre-Work Required: none
Type of Facilitator-Client Relationship: Client is willing to trust the facilitator
Facilitator personality fit: medium to high tolerance
- The steps in this process are:
- Choose 3 key words form the problem statement.
- Build a matrix of associations on each key word.
- Start horizontally, getting four associations of the key word.
- For each of the words on the horizontal row, get four associations vertically. You end up with a 4 x 5 matrix.
- Do the same for each of the keywords. Make sure brainstormed items are tangible, hard objects.
- Choose two really different words out of the three matrices, far away from the problem context.
- Force an analogy between the two words: what are similarities between the two?
- Force fit: how can these similarities help generating new ideas for the original problem statement?
Follow-Up Required: Process the results of the brainstorm
Usual or Expected Outcomes: very different ideas about solutions
How success is evaluated: very diverse suggestions of possible solutions
Derived from: unknown
History of Development: unknown
Alternative names: Matrice d'Eloignement Creatif