This is a fun energizer that can be used to help participants to experience a change process that is quite counter - intuitive.
1. We are going to use a physical exercise as an introduction to the experience of change. This will be a little silly but then sometimes change is experienced as silly,
2. (This should be told in a funny way as it is a joke.) The management team has decided to improve communications by changing the names of directions. This will help us to become aware of directions in a new way.
3. The traditional directions are up (point up), down (point down), left (point left) , right (point right), front (point foward), and back (point backward).
4. The new directions are up (point foward), down (point right),, left (point backward), right (point up), front(point left), and back (point down).
5. We now want to practice with these directions. Please point in the appropriate directions when I say them. Ready?
6. Left, right, left, up, up, front, down, left, back. (Continue for a while.)
7. Do a debrief about the experience of change.
Derived from: Shared by Pamela Luton-Bowers at a meeting of a IAF Europe taskforce.