Attribute listing and recombining
Cherry Split is an attribute listing type of technique which takes an existing product or system, breaks it into parts, identifies various ways of achieving each part, and then recombines these to identify new forms of the product or system.
- the problem or the project
- Blackboard or Writing board.
Types of participants: Project Planners, Account-managers
1. State the challenge - in two words
2. Split the challenge into two separate attributes
3. Split each attribute into two further attributes
4. Continue splitting each attribute into 2 more attributes, until you have enough to work with.
5. Look at each attribute at a time and try thinking of ways to change or improve it.
6. Re-assemble the attributes
Usual or Expected Outcomes: Detailed outcomes, since each step brings one closer to the core/ cause.
Source: Michael Michalko
History of Development: Cherry Split is an attribute listing type of technique developed in the early 1930's.
Alternative names: attribute listing