A tool for any meeting where the group is stuck on creating a vision or other component in a plan
1. A highly politicized and fairly polarized (yet congenial) group
2. A recognized lack of collaboration and partnership
3. Votes are split along predictable lines
4. Common ground that seems to get built keeps shifting.
Number of participants: 26-50
Time needed: 5 min. to explain the process
Pre-Work Required: none
1. Assumes that the group has other issues to address.
2. Suspend the existing vision statement process (or whatever process is stuck;
3. Move on to other agenda items;
4. Then come back to the suspended process.
Follow-Up Required: none
Usual or Expected Outcomes: The group has time to think about the items and can come back with a fresh perspective
Potential pitfalls: Positions are more dug in.
How success is evaluated: The component is done.
Source: Paula M. Diller on the Grp-facil Listserve
Derived from: A suggestion by Paula M. Diller at
pmariad@SPRYNET.COM in the GRP-FACL listserve
History of Development: unknown but it is very common