Types of participants: The group where there is conflict
Time needed: 3 - 45 min.
Pre-Work Required: Some understanding of the sources of the conflict and how it manifests itself
Type of Facilitator-Client Relationship: A lot of experience with each other and / or a high level of trust
Facilitator personality fit: Comfortable with conflict
Level of Difficulty to Facilitate (to be deleted during review): Facilitation skills required
1. This session we are going to look at how conflicts start and where they come from.
2. I want to start with a little word association game. You know when I say a word you say the first word that comes to your mind.
1. (Go around the room changing words every person.) What comes to mind when I say fight? (Conflict, disagreement, argument, discussion, etc.)
2. What are some conflicts in the world today?
3. What are some conflicts in your country?
4. What are some of these conflicts about?
5. How do these conflicts start?
6. What keeps them going?
7. What could be done about stopping them?
8. Why are conflicts so difficult to deal with?
We are going to spend the rest of the day exploring some of the issues in managing conflicts. As you can see no one really has 'the' answer or we would have so many conflicts in the world today.
Potential pitfalls: The conflict surfaces too early.
Source: Jon Jenkins