An introduction to an idea generating session or creativity session.
To practice creating responses in an absurd role play situation and to warm up one's creative thinking in a humorous context.
Types of participants: any who are willing to be playful.
Time needed: 30 min.
Pre-Work Required: none
Type of Facilitator-Client Relationship: high trust
Facilitator personality fit: playful
1. As we move beyond the first day of planning for the future, things start to get harder and you have to put on your creative e thinking hat. Many of us have a hard time getting started with creativity, and need a little warm-up. This exercise is intended to warm up your creative thinking ability, and to do so in a less than totally serious manner (which is just about the only way you CAN warm up your creative thinking!)
1. Gather into groups of three persons each. Everyone will have a chance to be the Expert for 5 minutes, and answer whatever questions your two colleagues, who are journalists, may ask you.
2. Let's have a volunteer from each trio to be the first Expert.
3. Give these people a hand for courage. Okay, experts, in a moment I'll tell you what your topic of expertise is.
4. Then you have 5 minutes to be interviewed by the journalists. When 5 minutes is up, I'll tell you to stop, and then the second Expert will step in to be interviewed, and I will announce the field of expertise of the second expert, and then the third.
5. Any questions?
Fields of expertise are:
- Optometry for predatory birds (specialist in eagles)
- Anger management for sharks
- Dental surgery for silkworms
- Parachute jumping training for elephants
- Footwear design for millipedes
1. What was one thing you learned in this exercise?
2. What was difficult about this exercise?
3. What does this have to do with creativity?
Follow-Up Required: Normally, the facilitator would go on to the idea generating session
Usual or Expected Outcomes: A lot of energy and laughter are generated in this exercise
Potential pitfalls: Participants don't want to play
Source: Maureen Jenkins
Derived from: unknown
History of Development: unknown