Creating ground rules with a group for meetings, workshops and training programs
- Flip chart paper and markers
Pre-Work Required: The facilitator needs to have their own set of rules. It is also a good idea to put them up ahead of the session.
Type of Facilitator-Client Relationship: any
Facilitator personality fit: The facilitator needs to handle this with a light touch if the group is not familiar with ground rules.
1. The facilitator puts up his or her ground rules on a sheet of flipchart paper.
2. The facilitator explains the reason for ground rules.
3. The facilitator asks for additional ground rules and puts them up.
4. The facilitator asks for agreement to these rules.
Follow-Up Required: If someone violates the rule the facilitator points this out to the person.
Usual or Expected Outcomes: A list of norms of behavior that the group has agreed to.
Potential pitfalls: violation of the rules without consequences
Alternative names: Participant / Facilitator Generated Ground Rules