Reframing a concept that is hanging up a group's progress
To reframe a task that is stuck because of an idea, concept or term being used. Progress toward the group goal.
Type of group issue:
- A highly politicized and fairly polarized (yet congenial) group
- A recognized lack of collaboration and partnership
- Votes are split along predictable lines
- Common ground that seems to get built keeps shifting
- The idea of a vision blocks progress
Type of Facilitator-Client Relationship: high trust
- For any number of reasons, it's possible the group is hung up by the concept of a vision (or another concept or term)
- Reframe it via another mechanism that will allow the group to move forward in its compass-setting and decision-making.
- Ask: "What do they need to agree on that will guide them in making important decisions?"
Follow-Up Required: Moving to the next step.
Potential pitfalls: There is a more profound issue that is blocking the group that is not on the table.
Source: Paula M. Diller
Derived from: Submitted to GRP-FACL Listserve by Paula M. Diller pmariad@SPRYNET.COM
History of Development: unknown