Leveraging negative thoughts to create a positive future
1. Divide the group into teams of 3 -5 people
2. Give each team a flipchart, length of brown paper or have them use a laptop with PowerPoint.
3. Ask each team to create a picture of the worst possible outcomes that could happen in the project the group is working on. This should include images, words, qualities, events and "if relevant" metrics (eg, 45% revenue decline; 25% loss of membership)
4. Ask each team to present their nightmare. If suitable, encourage the groups to boo and hiss after each presentation.
5. Ask the group, What are our nightmares telling us about what we intend?
Capture these on a flipchart or PowerPoint slide. Check, as you go along, for the categories mentioned above images, words, metrics, etc.
Source: Maureen Jenkins