Describing what kinds of appreciation are meaningful
To create a shared understanding of what kinds of appreciation is most meaningful to people in the group, and to experience and appreciate the different ways people are motivated.
- Flipcharts and markers
Pre-Work Required: none
Introduce the exercise by explaining what will happen, why it is being done and how long it will take.
1. Break into small groups of 5.
2. Have members of each group select a scribe and reporter.
3. Have the members share what form of recognition is most meaningful to them personally.
4. Have the scribe/reporters record the responses on a flipchart sheet using words or graphics (15 min).
5. When finished, the groups each share the highlights of their discussion.
6. Ask several people to summarize the key themes in the discussion.
1. Link these to the upcoming activities/topics of the teambuilding event.
Usual or Expected Outcomes: list of themes about the ways people like to be appreciated.
Source: Mary Ann Bennett
History of Development: Submitted to the GRP-FACL Listserve
Written up by Jon Jenkins