- Remove any distractions (no phones, tablets, laptops)
- If you are parents (no kids allowed)
- Choose a place where you will not be interrupted
- Set a time - (non-negotiable) 30 min is a good amount of time and doable even for busy people and a place.
If you can make it a ritual:
- Go to your favourite coffee shop together
- Have a morning meeting over a hot chocolate
- Open a really good wine
This is a time for you and your partner to talk about how you both are doing, your relationship, any unfinished conversations or arguments or things that are unsaid, or any needs that are not being met.
- To create and maintain connection
- To support a healthy (and continuous) information flow
- To create a weekly habit of sharing and building lasting connection
- Practice active listening and wait until your partner is finished.
- Don't judge your partners experience
- Ask clarifying questions
- How do you feel about us today? (for work frame it: our collaboration or the way we work together)
- Is there anything you feel incomplete about from this past week that you would like to talk about?
- How can I make you feel more loved in the coming days? (for work: replace love with valued)