Even with established teams, it’s important to get people into the holiday mood and encourage creativity and collaboration.
Assign people into pairs or triads and each pair/triad needs to write one pair of rhyme for the music of a popular song. In this holiday-themed version, we'll ask participants to create a version of Jingle bells.
Whatever the occasion or song, it's a nice twist if they incorporate something in the lyrics that is related to your own company and culture.
- Brief the exercise (make sure everyone is aware of the rhythm of Jingle Bells!)
- Announce pairs and ask them to warm up their singing voices! When working online, have each pair create and open a Google Doc per each pair where they can co-edit.
- Ask the pairs to move into a separate discussion circle ("breakout room") at your meeting space so they don't hear/disturb each other
- Give 5 minutes to create the rhyme in pairs and write down the lyrics where possible. (especially useful when running the activity online!)
- Regroup with everyone. Ask each pair to recite their rhyme/verse.
- Congratulate to each pair of authors as you have your own company version of Jingle Bells :-)
- Make sure you capture and save each verse created in one place for the future
Feel free to use alternative holiday songs as the basis of the activity. If your team are big fans of Mariah Carey or another classic Christmas song, lean into it!
Encourage creativity and light mood by this collaborative exercise.
- Aim to group people together who work less often with each other.
- Have a 5 min timer ready: E.g. Here is a 5-minute YouTube countdown or a dedicatd timer tool at https://timer.pizza/
Original starter lyrics:
Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one horse open sleigh
EXAMPLE that one of our pairs came up with:
"SessionLab, SessionLab, workshops all the way
What fun it is to drag-and-drop and timing calculates,"
Does it really rhyme? That’s up to you to decide. But it was a fun time spent together creating it!