Ice breaking at the beginning of the workshop/meeting
The participants (and the moderator) get's to know something deeper about the personalities of the group.
- All kind of stuff: Ball, sunglasses, pepper shaker, toys, curious objects, a red nose...
Ask the participants to just pick one object (not thinking too much about what to pick) out of the "magic box".
You as a moderator start.
- who you are, and
- why you've chosen the object, and
- additionally what could be the connection between the object and the topic of the workshop?
Tips for running this activity online
- Pick an online whiteboard tool that allows you to use a large, zoomable canvas.
- Add a large selection of images of a variety of different objects to the board.
- If you’re not using an online whiteboard, we’d recommend using a collaboration tool such as Google Docs to collect the images together and facilitate sharing and peer review.
- When facilitating group discussion, we’d recommend that participants use non-verbal means to indicate they’d like to speak. You can use tools like Zoom’s nonverbal feedback tools, a reaction emoji, or just have people put their hands up.The facilitator can then invite that person to talk.