For beginning any process with a group that is not yet well defined
To identify a team's common purpose
Setting: Blank cards and writing equipment
1. Give everyone a blank card, and ask them to write down his or her one-sentence answer to the question, "What is our organization's (or company's) purpose?
Make sure that the answers remain anonymous.
2. Collect the cards and read them aloud.3. Then reflect with the group:
- What words or phrases jump out at you?
- What is repeated more than once?
- What did you hear only once?
- Where are we well aligned?
- Where do we have significant differences?
- Where do you see critical points of confusion?
- What questions do we need to resolve in coming days in order to better align ourselves?
Source: Daniel Pink
Derived from: adapted from Daniel H. Pink's book Drive “The Surprising Truth about What Motivates Us"
Recognizable components: Reflection on shared purpose