To gain insight over the pluses and minuses of the last year and the coming year and to gain confidence in the state of the department.
- The old SWOT analysis needs to be reproduced so that each particpant has one and they should be on flipchart size paper or an overhead that can be displayed. Blank SWOT analysis sheets. Flipchart paper
Pre-Work Required: Review the SWOT
Type of Facilitator-Client Relationship: any
Facilitator personality fit: any
Level of Difficulty to Facilitate (to be deleted during review): No specific skills required
1. Good morning. We want to do a very quick and not very systematic review of the past year using the SWOT categories. This is not really an analysis but a review.
1. We have four worksheets. Show the worksheets. They have on them Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. Strengths and Weaknesses are internal and Opportunities and Threats are external.
2. Take a minute and list on the sheet 4 or 5 items for each area. These can be from this past year or this coming year.
3. Select the most important Strength, Weakness, Opportunity and Threat on the appropriate sheet.
4. Put them on the appropriate flip chart paper.
5. Now I would like for you to read through your 4 sheets.
6. Are there any Strengths that are not up there? Write in the insight. Repeat process for the Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats.
7. Which of the Strengths are the most important? Which is next? (Any of a number of prioritizing processes can be used here.)
8. Go on to the Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats and prioritize.
1. Which ones were a little surprising?
2. What are some common themes?
3. What is an insight from the year?
4. What are some implications for this coming year?
Follow-Up Required: none
Usual or Expected Outcomes: A prioritized list of SWOT items
Potential pitfalls: The previous years SWOT was not used for anything.
Source: Jon Jenkins
Derived from: none
History of Development: none
Recognizable components: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats
References: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats